Checking your oil level is quick and easy and will tell you if your engine needs oil. If the oil is too high or too low, it can cause trouble for your engine.
- To check the oil, park on level ground and wait until the engine has cooled down after driving.
- Find the dipstick. (If you cannot find the dipstick, consult your owner’s manual.)
- Pull it out and wipe it clean, then push it all the way back in until the top of it is seated properly in the dip tube again.
- Wait a moment then pull it out again. Check the level of the oil on the stick. The high and low marks can be told apart by two dots, an “H” and “L” or a shaded area on the dipstick. If it’s between the high and low marks, you’re fine. (If it’s too low, add oil.)
- Check your manual to find out what kind of oil your engine needs.